Questions to Ponder
- What shape are the leaves?
- What color are the leaves and petals?
- What color are the petals? Do you see any similar flowers nearby that are a different color?
- How tall is the plant?
- Is the plant in the sun or in the shade?
- Do you see any bugs on the plant?
- What else do you notice?
Handbook of Nature Study:
Have you heard of Anna Botsford Comstock’s Handbook of Nature Study? It’s a fantastic book that covers all kinds of creatures, plants, and habitats. Since it has all sorts of resources in it, you should download it for free at https://www.google.com/books/edition/Handbook_of_Nature_study_for_Teachers_an/CjPbAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0
Anna Botsford Comstock talks about Flowers on pages 489-683 of the linked edition of the Handbook of Nature Study. Take a few minutes to read those pages, and then keep those ideas in mind as you and your kids watch the weather this month. That way, you may remember the answers to some of their questions, and you have another handy resource to check when you can’t.